Monday, October 11, 2010

The 2010 Walk the Talk

For those interested in paging through the 5th Annual Walk the Talk
blog content that was published last year during the walk and in the
month after the walk, it continues to be documented in this blog.

Skip to the November and December 2009 entries in the "blog archive" you see to the right of this content.

***---***

Roz's Work(?) @ Mokule`ia

Monday, 11 October 2010:

Dear Sports Fans.....if you regard talking and walking as a sport...

In less than a month, H-5's 2010, 6th annual, "Walk the Talk" is going to get under way and while at this point, I'm relatively ignorant of all the behind the scenes preparation that I'm sure is going on...I have a hope to, once again, document the 11 days with this blog showing pictures and commentary I hope to generate on a daily basis from connections I hope to be able to make, once again, as the 'combat embedded reporter.'

Now that I've got a year under my belt blogging in general but also with a developed familiarity with the blogspot dot com utility and provider of the domain and server services for my publication efforts...plus a new air card provider that I hope will have a much stronger and more available access to remote signal reception, I'm hoping for a much quicker and more timely presentation.

But, as a homeless person my self, I also have other challenges that have to be overcome in order for me to even show up for this years event.

Paramount in this challenge...a lot of what I was able to obtain last year as content was due to the incredible mobility I had at my disposal covering each day's course effort hauling my technology on my back....while I pedaled my bicycle. 

I now have a laptop that is disintegrating....but the biggest immediate problem I have is that my bicycle was stolen a couple months ago.

Without that mobility, my content will be greatly reduced this year. Those of you who have actually taken the time to view the entire 2009 event that is still published here on this site, please know that of the over 1,000 photos I took during those 11 days, more than 500 of them are also still on this site in those posts. Without a bike to ride for the week and a half of the 10 day walk this year, my content will be greatly reduced.

There is also the question of whether a 60-year-old man with a knee joint that an orthopedic surgeon is eager to replace can walk 130 miles in 10 days...with or without a laptop and associated paraphernalia in his backpack.  That 2 week loaner bike would hold off that surgeon.

I would be eager to accept a loaner for a couple weeks that I could adjust to my size(I have the tools to do this), but would be willing to purchase your old, sitting-in-the-storage-room unit that you want to get rid of. Loaner or new-to-me freshly bought; I want a stump-jumper, T-handle-barred, knobby-tired unit that the frame is big enough for a 6'2" rider.

This picture that I took at the beginning of day 8 of last year's walk beside the Evans bus @ Yokohama Bay shows my stolen unit.  I added all the identifying information on the right side of this image that I gave to HPD and about a dozen bike shops the day after the theft.  This frame is a little small for me and I was real close to buying a longer seat post...but would be thrilled to be riding it today with either seat post......not to be.

***---***
Bike lament aside...
...for the time being and in the event I either walk or pedal next month, I am looking for lots more interface this year:
  1. To see your comments in general.
  2. To see your comments that respond to questions I post in my content like when I ask for the names of people that I show in posted pix.....or any other questions that I ask that you know, or think you know the answer(s) to.  
  3. Anyone who sees me photographing and asks that their name or picture not be taken or shown will be honored as such.
  4. To see your comments that might fall under the category of "editor" that you think might improve my effort.
  5. You have to choose a profile in order to submit a comment on the blog....you can see the drop down menu under the "post a comment" entry box.  Choosing "anonymous" is perfectly acceptable.
  6. Regardless of the profile you choose, all comments are screened before they are accepted and then displayed on site.  I will try to have several screeners working so that your comments are as current as possible.
  7. Just like last year, any of you who would like to be notified ONLY whenever I make major changes to this site and you don't want to engage the subscription utility provided by clicking the "Follow" link you see on the navigation bar at the very top of this page; send me an email saying as such. It is very easy for me to briefly describe the major change in that email and send it. I do minor editing touch ups frequently but will only email those on this list when I add pix or do major format changes. If you decide you want to be removed from this list, that will happen quickly when I receive your email requesting that.

***---***

 While the main attempt for screening submitted comments is to keep all displayed content nice and clean.  It will also attempt to keep controversy to a minimum. 
While there is a political effort afoot on this island that attacks homeless people, but not the problem of homelessness, it will probably remain that any effort to address controversy with
anything presented on this site will not be allowed without
approval from people who oversee my effort.

***---***

Finally...find me a curb/stump jumping knobby tired bicycle that I can ride as well on trails through Ka`ena Point State Park as well as any street or alley on the island...
             ...if only for two weeks next month say from about November 6 through to the 20th.

I'll pay you compliments richly!     (I'll pay cash if I buy the thing!)

***---***

Of course...if you miss the walk this year...
...you might miss what "the boys" got captured in when I saw the momentary presence of this rainbow as we trekked into the end of our 3rd day on the road last year at a Park(name?) in Kahalu`u.

Your choice, either be there...
...or see it here and lament your choice to watch from the side lines.


1 comment:

  1. just to see what a posted comment looks like...

    ReplyDelete

thanx for your comments...