Saturday, November 19, 2011

18 November 2011...Ka`ena Point rounding revisited!...

...Wow!....What-a-day!...sorta...my old Canon batteries let me down after only 42 shots 'n 44 seconds of video...but as of today, 24Nov2011, this is what I have...

*****

My plan was to catch the #52 to Hale`iwa @ it's first departure Friday morning....scheduled to leave the AMSC @ 6:30am.

What is it about sleep that when you need it the most to have a good productive day to follow... ...distractions make it all seem so unnecessary...?

So...here I am @ about quarter after 8:00am...awaiting the scheduled 8:38am #52 arrival...




(...18-02...)







...and here it is within 5 minutes of scheduled arrival...AMAZING!


So...I'm only 2 hours behind schedule!





(...18-05...)





Pretty soon we're passing the capitol...








(...18-06...)



...and then Eki Cyclery as we reach the Ewa end of Dillingham Blvd...








(...18-08...)







...we now by-pass Middle Street turn-off...'n up the ramp to the H1 via-duct to dodge all the surface streets till Mililani/Wahiawa...


(...18-09...)





...still a long way to go....but the Waianae Ridge is in visual range right now.






(...18-13...)





...above Wahiawa, we make the turn onto Kamehameha Hwy just before this iron trestled bridge...









(...18-16...)

Now....the first views of the "North Shore"....

You see that there are 2 bikes on the bus bike rack at the bottom of all these bus window shots. He got on the same time I did at the AMSC. He's got a grounds maintenance job up here somewhere a day or 2 a week...'n claims he's seen me up here before....? (...18-17...)


...and then the #52 driver pulls off Kam Hwy...slides around the mauka side of the traffic circle and me and the other biker get off at this first stop by that 711. I acknowledge the "Welcome to Historic Hale`iwa Town" sign right there across the street from that 711.

(...18-19...)




Gotta do the 'tourist thing'.....1st stop...if only for the pix...Matsumoto's

Where's Utu...?





(...18-21...)


*****

(...18-22_joes.jpg...)
Had to make the stop at Haleiwa Joe's...the former Chart House up here...a corporation I worked for 30+ years ago for over a decade at 2 different locations on Maui....Reminicing my bartending/waiting/fish/meat/cutting daize...I asked if they needed an experienced ex-Chart House waiter to help bus tables tonight but...they appeared uninterested..

...that's the Hale'iwa boat harbor and the famous bridge as seen from their ocean-side table sittings on the back lanai.

(...18-23 'n 18-24...)














*****














(...18-26 'n 18-25...)

Camp Mokuleia....where we would spend our night at the end of the 6th Day's walk in the former 10-day extravaganza the "Walk the Talk" used to be.


I stopped into the office to ask the gals if they were gonna miss us this year...they said there was some "room at the inn" but they were busy and I moved on...




(...18-27...)


*****

Bob here is from Wahiawa side...but was apparently very at home here. He had 3 poles at his side and I saw 3 strikes in the 10-15 minutes I was there...I saw him pull in a couple-a...."Hinamakua's(?)" that brightened his day...NOT for the barely mouth full of sashimi either one would represent...NO SIR!....they immediately became "bait" for the larger Papio he hoped to land.(...18-36...)



He's been living in the islands about as long as I have but....I'll NEVER experience the appearance of tranquility he represents in this shot I took just before moving on...




(...18-40...)


*****

I can't believe I got this almost 2-minute video...edited down to just over 20 seconds...of a fixed-wing glider landing at Dillingham Air Field. One had just landed like this one.....RIGHT OVER MY HEAD....but closer than this one did and I never saw it coming as I wasn't watching the sky for something to shoot when it buzzed me....AND THEN....I saw this one in the landing approach pattern they all take when coming in after cruising the ridge for an hour or so on a typical on-shore surface updraft the ridge creates just for being there....'n shot this...




*****





Still got some pavement to cover till the 'fun' begins...












(...18-41...)

(...18-42...)

...but here it ends...within 10 minutes, I was having to turn today's "Day 7, Walk the Talk" into "Walk the bike" for most of the next 3 hours till the pavement began to appear again at the north end of Yokohama Bay Beach....AND....





...and the photography for today has to end here as my Canon SD450 batteries are very old and they and the Camera quit working at this point. I have a propensity to wear things out because of the challenging demands I put on technology.

*****

Technology...
...can't live without it....
...it can't survive my challenges!


Whatz a technologist to do...?

*****

It was an exciting day to be out in a remote area and not having to dodge street traffic for several hours. An hour and a half on the #52 going out, 2 hours on the C coming back. 2 hours on pavement on the Hale`iwa side with all the visiting; but only about an hour on the Makaha side as I rode straight down to the first bus stop past Makua Valley.

That left about 3.5 hours on dirt and both loose and jagged lava rock...

...including about a half hour on an off-the-trail loose rock scramble having to carry the bike but sometimes having to lay the bike down, scramble around it, and pick it up on the other side of a dangerous passage...

...a GREAT physical challenge for an 'old' man...I get so few of these kinds any more.

*****

btw...you can get a good sense for what the rest of the passage would be like by going to "Day 7" of the 2009 WtT on this blog...

http://talkinnwalkin.blogspot.com/2009/11/day-717-november-2009.html

...when my batteries were working and we had a crew of support staff...and not too much rain over the 11 days.

Skip to the pix labeled "[Day_07.16]" to see the almost 50+ remaining pix I published 2 years ago to see what follows from this point on to our evening's encampment on the south end of Yokohama Bay Beach that night.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanx for your comments...