Wednesday, November 16, 2011

...but Ka`ena Point will always be the greatest WtT memory.....so....

...day after tomorrow...Friday, the day before the 2011 WtT Kaka`ako Wake...at the 'crack-of-dawn'...I plan to be getting off of a #52 circle-island Honolulu city bus somewhere in Hale`iwa...and begin to make my way to the end of the pavement just past Mokuleia...and do the "Ka`ena Point Shuffle" as I ride/walk/carry my Quasar Raptor around the point and down to Yokohama Bay on the north end of the Waianae coast...and then on to the last bus stop in north Makaha...by Makua Valley... for probably a "C" Express to take me back to civilization.

I invite any and all to join me...and then show up the next morning at Kaka`ako Park to join whoever show's up there to tell them what they missed.

The "Day 7" of the walk would be about 9 miles from the Presbyterian camp we would stay at at the end of "Day 6"...to the south end of the Yokohama Bay Beach where we'd camp that night after rounding the point. Connecting from the two closest bus stops between Mokule`ia and Makaha will take about 17 miles....a bit of a walk for many...but a very tolerable bike ride for the rest of us....if not for what I call "Dead Man's Gulch", the crevace we have to bridge on the Makaha side of the point as we approach Yokohama Bay Beach...but I've already done this by bike 3 times in the past 2 years...and will be able to lead you past this threat...but you will need to shoulder your steed for a few yards to cross the gulch where the trail disappears for about 20 yards.

Utu tells me that there has been some fencing added to that area but the fencing won't obstruct the bypass I'll be able to lead you by.

This is not an adventure for the meek...but if you can keep up with a 60-year-old man.....I'll get you back on pavement and to a bus stop to take you home...

To prepare yourself for what you will encounter....go to "DAY 7" in the November 2009 archive at the top of the column on the right...and look at all the pix I took in 2009.

*****
Anyone who wants to join me, we need to exchange cell phone numbers to keep track of each other as we approach the beginning of the ride/walk so.....leave you comments....grab your sun screen and about 4-6 liters of water...and let's conquer the point!

2 comments:

  1. tick...tick...tick...well, it remains to be seen as my claim is that I will be on the #52...in about 6 hours from right now but....I'm at least an hour away from getting horizontal for some conscious energy restoration.

    For most of you, the evidence that I did what I said I was going to do will be when I make my next post and begin to show some of the pix I hope to take...'n no sponsors showing up on the "2011 WtT" site yet either for Saturday.

    Haven't heard, yet, what the weather is going to be like for either day either....but I DID get a fresh 8oz squeezer of "Banana Boat Sport Performance" that claims to be "SPF-30" and effective for both UVA 'n UVB.

    Now......if my rear tire that's showing well over a dozen wear exposures down to the fiber belt doesn't require me to repair the inner tube...which I think I'll be prepared to do...it'll be a "nice" tour of the top 17 miles of the north end of the Waianae Ridge from Mokule`ia to Makaha...'n I should ready to sleep REAL GOOD!...tomorrow night...if not tonight!

    For those who know my #, I'll be packing my cell...which had coverage all over the Keanae passage last year...and while I may not hear the incoming ring...I'll eventually get to my voice mail and my texting access will be available provided no graphix are sent.

    Ua mau ke'ea,
    O ka'aina,
    i ka pono...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it!

    No time to talk now...

    ReplyDelete

thanx for your comments...