Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 1, 11Nov 2009

...12.51 miles from the state capitol downtown to the Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Aina Haina...

I awoke...assuming it was sleep that transpired...pre-dawn to see a centipede who, like me, was merely trying to stay out of the rain. He was exploring the cardboard wall less than an arm's(mine) length from my face. I couldn't find my camera to show you the proof but that's my story and I'm sticking with it!


"Pink in the morning, sailors take warning..." This old sailor's cautionary didn't prove valid today as we had a sunny passage to Aina Haina. But the sunrise sky over Makiki......as seen from the Kalihi side of the capitol where just a few hours earlier maybe 20-30 boxes and various large pieces of cardboard had stood ready for the "Sleep in a Box" kick-off for the 5th annual WtT......didn't encourage me. [Day_01.01]


Notice, all the cardboard is gone as there are large stacks of soaking corrugate awaiting the garbage truck behind me.

All the cardboard, that is, but mine and this guy's, is gone....somebody tell me who this is? [Day_01.02]

The rains had chased everyone else onto the concrete in the foyer between the state senate and house chambers there behind the Damien statue. I'm not sure who was more uncomfortable during this night's camp out, me and my neighbor or them.


This is Ivan and Mike, a couple a guys I hadn't really met yet but got to know over the next week and a half. The third guy I don't know. Cece is here in the red. She and her husband Kimo, WtT volunteers, were a constant presence in so many ways over the 10 days. Here she is checking to see if anyone needs a beverage. [Day_01.03]







These two were day 1 walkers but I'm not sure how many more days they were a part of the "Walk..."[Day_01.04]






Here's Keith leading 3 Car-a-van staffers including Darlene and Savina, and three(one very shy) more I don't recognize... past the famous statue of Duke Kahanamoku one can see on the makai side of Kalakaua Avenue on Waikiki Beach.[Day_01.05]








Ivan and Mike again leading a group including Utu through the beginning of Kapiolani Park at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki.[Day_01.06]





As we approached the Kapiolani Park WtT aid station...[Day_01.07-10]











...we saw what appeared to be some Kapiolani Park residents. These must be some of the most mobile as this close to Waikiki, they get harassed the most by HPD.[Day_01.11&12]


There were plenty surfers in the water surfing off Diamond Head point...[Day_01.13-15]








...but a lot of WtT walkers 'surfing' the pavement above them on Diamond Head Road as well.[Day_01.16-17]




Wait....where'd they go...?...oh....lunch...at Ruger Park...but then it was off to Aina Haina...[Day_01.18-21]




































...where we arrived at our night's lodging, the Holy Trinity Catholic Church. In addition to the nightly presence of the 8 spaces in one of the Evans buses, we were given all kinds of couch, floor, and bed space in the (?)parsonage(?) here.


[Day_01.22]





Eugene was typically the first one present on most of the days' walks and he was on Day 1 as well. Here, he stakes out the HTCC entrance to keep delirious WtT'erz from missing the day's finish line.


[Day_01.23]










Ivan and Mike are usually never very far from Gene. On Day 1, they are 2nd and 3rd.






[Day_01.24]




*****



Now go to "blog archive" in the right column
and click on "Day 2, 12 Nov" under the "November(11)" heading.


3 comments:

  1. 11 November:
    Learning curve day...blog hacking/administering...hope to recover and have some content here later...

    21 November:
    ...finally...the walk finished yesterday. Now to get caught up with the content...

    This is probably very close to a "final edit" for Day 1. The WtT finished yesterday having only Days 2, 4, and 7 with substantial entries in this document blog, though not withstanding a "final edit" designation as yet either for any of the 3.

    I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-70 pix from this Day 1 archive because of a file handling error but still have enough to present what you see.

    There will probably be no post editing done in the next 2 days because of Sunday and Doctor's/Attorney's appointments on Monday. Major efforts remain for post days 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 before the scrutiny of "final edit" touch ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben. There is no contact information on this blog or how to help you identify missing info :

    Day 10, Utu is walking with Pamela Menter - Director of Safe Haven
    http://www.mentalhealthkokua.org/safehaven.html

    Day 1, In the morning - the guy in the cardboard is Curtis Kropar, Executive Director of Hawaiian Hope
    http://www.hawaiianhope.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. geeze....it's been about 11 months since the last comment was logged anywhere on this blog...

    Thankyou so, so, much!

    When I was generating this during and after last year's event, I...as I've described in some of the earlier personal comments I've added...had created it less than 48 hours before the "Sleep-in-a-Box" night that preceded the first day's walk. This was my FIRST effort at creating a blog and while I'm relatively experienced with a lot of computer generated technology, I was in late birthing labor during and after the walk as I created/learned what I was doing totally ignorant of blog authoring and the blogspot dot com implementation of this venue.

    Since I had many questions as I wrote and shot pix, I entered questions in my commentary that I hoped as people read the blog, and they knew the answer, they would answer with their posted comments....which is EXACTLY what you've done!.....almost a year later.

    Your Day 10 comment:
    Now, I remember hearing Mz Menter's name mentioned in other conversation. I've never been introduced to her and didn't know her by sight; but when I saw Utu walking with her, and hadn't seen her in the previous 10 days, I figured she was a mover/shaker kind of person involved with the homeless culture, took the shot and posted it with my inquiry.

    Your Day 1 comment:
    I hadn't met Curtis yet and even though we talked a few times during the week and a half that followed, I didn't know him that morning and until you identified him in this shot, I never made the connection.

    I plan to use your provided information to update my postings.

    Please, feel free to remain annonymous in your postings but don't hesitate to identify yourself, when we meet, as the provider of your comments and I continue to value your input/commment in this and perhaps what I may be generating next month in the 2010 walk.

    I was able to do what I did last year because of the mobility I had riding my bicycle those 11 days. It was stolen from me a couple months ago. I'm not sure an old man like me, and in my physical condition, would be able to do this again if I actually had to......walk!

    Thanx again for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

thanx for your comments...