Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 2, 12Nov 2009

...10.8 miles from Aina Haina to Weinberg Village in Waimanalo...


Day 2 starts with an awakening by what is now known as the “Hawaii News Now” mobile satelite truck in the parking lot right outside and beside our residences for the previous evening at the Holy Trinity Catholic Church property in Aina Haina. The dish was up, the generator was running but all I got was this shot of Lisa Kubota walking away right after she finished interviewing Utu.[Day_02.01]

Once again, the film crew(me), screwed up with his camera settings snapping 26 shots with flawed exposure settings that I'm told I can eventually "fix".....but not anytime soon. So......here's one of those flawed shots showing the core lead group with Utu almost blocked by the traffic light as they cross Lunalilo Home Road and begin to climb it from Kalaniana`ole Highway to use better walkways to Sandy's than exist on Kalaiana`ole.[Day_02.02]




I finally realize my flawed exposure settings, made the correction just as we reached the Hawai`i Kai Drive intersection, and took this shot of ???? directing walkers to make the right onto...[Day_02.03]






...Hawai`i Kai Drive just as it takes a grade change to challenge the stamina of all participants. I found 1st gear almost not enough torque to allow me to not have to push my bike by walking instead of pedal power.

I sorta cheated by taking a side street detour about two thirds of the way to the crest. A couple of blocks on a flat grade allowed me to recover and come back to make the crest without abandoning pedal power for the climb. Utu later said he was impressed with my persistance.[Day_02.04]






Back down on the Kalama Valley side of and off of Hawai`i Kai ridge, we continued on toward Waimanalo back on Kalaniana`ole Highway.[Day_02.05]









I saw the chance to get an "aerial" shot and couldn't resist climbing up the ridge a bit...though a few others thought I was trying to take a short cut to Waimanalo... ...oh well.[Day_02.06]












While I was up there, an Evans bus went by...[Day_02.07]















...and I caught Utu in a moment of solitude.[Day_02.08]



There were plenty walkers on their way to Waimanalo...[Day_02.09-11]


...that's Gary in #9, and Charles, ???, and Curtis in both #10 'n #11...






...as we passed Rabbit and Turtle Islands...[Day_02.12]













...and pulled into that park for lunch...[Day_02.13]













...across the street from Sea Life Park. [Day_02.14]








There were incredibly scenic views to distract us...[Day_02.15-17]












...but the walking continued...[Day_02.18-22]































...while Moose and Naomi were enjoying the time...and each other...[Day_02.23]








...and continued.[Day_02.24-26]












They didn't come out to cheer us on...no discredit to them, they probably have to be ready to "duck and cover" every time the mayor wants to "clean up the island,"... but check out the 'residents' at Waimanalo Beach Park.











[Day_02.27-31]






Finally, one by one, we make it to our evening's refuge, Weinberg Village.[Day_02.32-34]










Man, I'm beat.....and famished!

Oh boy, here comes the gumbo....where's my cardboard and mosquito coil...tomorrow it's Kahalu`u or bust.


(......Now where'd I hide that shot of the exhausted but gumbo'd and sleeping walker......?......maybe I'll find it tomorrow......Guhnit!)


*****



Now go to "blog archive" in the right column
and click on "Day 3, 13 Nov" under the "November(11)" heading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanx for your comments...